Wow, we made it to Myth busting – Part 10! Let’s quickly look back over this mini-series so far and recap what we have covered.
In the previous nine instalments of this mini-series, we have read that:
- Eating fat doesn’t make us fat
- Over eating in general makes us fat – and too much sugar is a major problem
- Saturated fat isn’t as evil as they say, it’s not bad for you if it comes from properly, naturally-reared animals
- Cholesterol isn’t all bad
- Vegetarians aren’t particularly any healthier than meat eaters, or if they are, it’s not just because they don’t eat meat
- Very little research has looked at the difference between vegetarians and meat eaters who only eat pasture-reared, grass-fed meat
- Vegetarians don’t necessarily live longer
- Gorillas are not vegans, they eat termites and ants all the time
- Cows aren’t vegans
- Cows and sheep eat a high-fat diet
- Some cows ‘eat magnets’!
- Plants aren’t all good, some of them are bad for a lot of people
- Half the plant kingdom is out to kill us (I’m laughing!)
- We can’t live on plants alone
- We can live on meat and fish alone, but we’d probably be pretty miserable
- Animal organs and flesh are actually some of the most nutritious foods on the planet
- Caveman mostly ate animals, and if he didn’t break his legs he could live to a ripe old age
- …and we shouldn’t send Chinese Lanterns off into the night sky!
Phew! It’s been a lot of fun writing this series – and I hope you are enjoying reading it!
But…you might have one last question, and this is now going to open up a whole can of worms. If we are supposed to be eating meat and fish instead of grains, and all those big juicy sweet pieces of fruit and veg are actually a relatively new ‘man-bred’ novelty.
Myth: It’s animal agriculture that is destroying the environment isn’t it? Haven’t you seen that film ‘Cowspiracy’? It’s all those burping and farting cows that are causing global warming. If we encourage people to eat less grain and more meat and fish there will be an environmental catastrophe, and besides there is not enough land to keep all those abused and mistreated farm animals fed and watered.
Truth: With respect to the good intentions of the makers of the film, in my personal opinion, that movie Cowspiracy is totally biased and wildly inaccurate, made purposefully to appeal to one particular paradigm, or one specific set way of thinking, namely veganism. Far from ‘exposing the truth’ these kind of mock-umentaries (known as a ‘mock-doc’ or a ‘docu-drama’) often do more harm than good by spreading misinformation, and they are nothing short of propaganda made to promote the vegan cause, not to present a balanced view of reality.
I respect anyone who makes the choice to be vegan because they abhor cruelty to animals, I do too. But that is not what this is about.
There is so much misunderstanding in this area. Since Cowspiracy came out, it’s now ‘the latest trendy thing’ to talk about how animal agriculture is ‘the biggest cause of environmental destruction and greenhouse gases’ on Earth and so ‘everyone should just stop eating meat’ but this is just fundamentally wrong. Cowspiracy has certainly taken this issue (agriculture’s contribution to global warming) to a broader audience, but the so-called science in the movie is completely flawed, it uses data points cherry picked to provide a one-sided view, and it ignores loads of facts that don’t fit with the main goals of the presentation.
Let’s actually look at some reality. Read more