How to live - health, peace and happiness
The Simple Things
You know, it’s just so easy, it’s just simple things…we have over complicated everything in this world, abundant good health is easy.
Every day I talk to people about the secrets to good health. Every day I read books and papers about weight loss, nutrition, longevity and more. There are so many companies out there selling ‘secrets’ and solutions, supplements and superfoods, home gym equipment and work out routines, and it just doesn’t have to be that complicated.
Good health is really, remarkably simple.
Here it is, all you need to know:
- Get plenty of fresh air, do things outside, not just on sunny days, get outside all the time
- Get plenty of sunshine – when it’s out, we should be out!
- Eat good natural healthy food – lots of vegetables, outdoor-reared, grass-fed, organic meat. Wild, sustainably caught fish. Eggs. Fresh fruit. Nuts and seeds. Herbs
- Try to grow some of your own food, and teach your kids how food grows, where food comes from
- Do everything you can to ensure your food is organic, fresh, local. I mean really organic, really fresh, really local. If you can’t always afford it, just do the best you can. All any of us can ever do, is our best at any given point in time
- Avoid the poisons and addictions of the modern world. Nicotine, alcohol, refined sugar, additives, e-numbers, chemicals, TV, the media frenzy, disrespectful pornography, trash people and trash talk and trashy lifestyles, too much time in front of a screen, too much time online, etc.
- If you cannot envisage something in its natural state, growing on a tree or bush or root, or running/swimming/flying around, then you almost certainly shouldn’t eat it
- If something is too heavily packaged, and has a long list of ingredients and a bar code, then you almost certainly should not eat it
- Know that just because they sell 40 or 50 thousand ‘mostly edible’ products in your local supermarket, that doesn’t mean they are all good for you. Apply the logic of cigarettes (just ‘cos they sell ‘em, don’t mean you should smoke ‘em!) to all that unnatural food and all those products that are so full of chemicals
- Move your body, stay active. Find an exercise or sport that you like, a little bit of competition, even just against the clock, is good for your body and mind. There are thousands of options out there, find one you like
- Remove stress from your life in areas where you can. Shout at your kids less, ease up on those ‘rules’. Relax more. Laugh often. Smile at strangers. Be nice and kind to people, even people you don’t know. Tell jokes. Watch funny and inspiring movies now and then. Listen to upbeat music. Actively work at being happy
- Don’t borrow money to buy things you can’t afford, apart from your home. Save and buy them when you can afford to. Clear you debts. Buy less ‘stuff’. It won’t make you happy. Find ways to be happy with less clutter, We should value each other, not ‘things’
- Don’t throw anything away. There is no away. Away ends up somewhere. You don’t want a landfill site near your home. Recycle, everything. Buy quality. Less is more. Teach your kids these principles
- Get a job you enjoy, don’t just be slaves to a pay check. Find your purpose in life, follow your passion
- Raise your kids with love, don’t bully them. You didn’t have kids in order to prove how you are bigger and stronger than they are. Also, you’d do well to remember that one day, they’ll be bigger and stronger than you
- Give to charity. If you have no money to give, give your time. Give your wisdom. Give your love. Visit someone lonely. Write a letter. Lend your voice and your signature to a good cause
- Leave the car at home sometimes. Walk to the corner shop
- Get a bicycle
- Allow more time in your schedule and walk places with your kids - try school, every day
- Use a rucksack, walk to the shop, carry your stuff home without using a car
- Reconnect with nature. Find the joy in the natural world. Don’t be afraid of a bit of mud and a few bugs, none of it will hurt you
- Enjoy more picnics, take your kids to places they can splash in a stream. Sleep in a tent and be woken by the sounds of nature
- Camp in wild places. Camp without a tent, just sleep under the stars. Wake in the middle of a clear night and stare at the sky…the longer you stare, the more stars you will see. It’s amazing!
- Walk barefoot in meadows of wild flowers and long wet grass. Walk barefoot on sandy beaches
- Get a pet dog, walk every day, meet people, talk to your neighbours, make friends, smile
- Climb a mountain. Even just a small one, it’s great fun and the views are beautiful. Standing up on high makes you feel good, that’s scientifically proven
- Go camping. Take your kids. It’s fun and they will play outside more and meet other kids and not stare at the TV so much
- Walk in wild places. Disconnect occasionally, get off the grid, leave your phone, leave your email, get lost, go on an adventure, on foot. Meet new people, smile and say hello
- Love more
- Don’t hate. Ever
- Be the change you want to see in the world. Lead by example
- Vote for the world you want to live in – vote with your words, your actions and your money
- Smile, often, for any reason or no reason