Life hacks: the devil is in the detail…
For the longest time, that phrase has annoyed me. It’s not the actual words, I mean, to be fair ‘life hacks’ sounds kinda cool, it’s the notion of ‘hacking life’ that bothers me.
- We rush too much these days.
- We skimp on meaningful relationships.
- We rely too much on technology.
So the idea of ‘hacking’ life more, seems anathema to so many things I hold dear – the slow food movement, personal responsibility for our own health and well-being, spending time out in nature, relaxing, taking a digital detox, nurturing our personal relationships, offline, face-to-face.
But as I think on it, in many respects maybe the 12 Core Principles of Mother Nature’s Diet are just that – life hacks.
I mean – it’s 12 simple one-liners, taking my 28-year journey of learning, all my reading and studies and the seminars I have attended, all my life experience and the many experts I have interviewed, worked with or learned from, and distilling it all into 12 simple one-line statements for you to follow.
If you have the time, and you want to learn some of what is behind those 12 simple statements, then you can read the short version here, or buy the book here and learn lots more. But if you are pushed for time, if life is demanding, or stressful, then just print off this sheet and do what it says, just follow the 12 Core Principles as you will gain health benefits – weight loss, more energy, resist the signs of ageing and more.
The devil is in the detail
Personally, I am a details kinda guy, I like to read the books, dig into the studies, do the research, I like to find it all out and become immersed in it…
But only for the stuff that interests me.
- Cancer prevention – bring it on, I am totally into that, I want to read and learn everything.
- Fitness and strength – yeah baby, gimme those books and studies, I love that shit.
- Anti-ageing strategies – hell yeah, I’m all over that, I want complete immersion, I am a sponge for learning more.
- Running my business to be most tax efficient – zzzzzzz can you hear me snoring already?
- Getting my car serviced – oh dear, is it that time again?
- My wife wants me to help her pick a new carpet for the landing sand stairs – oh I’m sorry dear I am too busy, I must re-arrange my sock drawer…
You see, the things that interest me, like cancer prevention, weight loss, strength and fitness, anti-ageing, nutrition and diet, I love these things, I have an almost infinite capacity for learning more about these topics. I am the ‘target market’ for that stuff. I want to buy the books, attend the seminars, buy the study courses, meet like-minded people, sign me up baby I’m all over that shit!
But the things that bore me to death, like renewing my home insurance, talking to my accountant about tax, getting the car serviced, booking an annual check-up with my dentist, buying a new carpet or arranging a service for the gas boiler, I don’t want to spend any time on these things at all. I hate these things!
In fact, I would gladly pay someone to help handle these things for me, to free up more of my time to study the cancer prevention, anti-ageing and fitness training.
So I guess this is what life hacking is all about.
- I don’t want to hack the long walk on the hills.
- I don’t want to hack cooking that slow-roasted joint of pork.
- I don’t want to hack time sat in a cancer prevention seminar.
- But boy oh boy I wanna hack filling out my tax return…
And in fact I DO hack filling out my tax return – I pay my accountant to do it for me.
What about you?
What do you like to savour, go slow, enjoy and immerse yourself in every minute? And what do you want to just hack, to get it done as quickly as possible?
What about your health and fitness?
Do you want to life hack this healthy living thing?
If you want to lose a few pounds, shape up, feel better and have more energy, but the idea of learning about it all bores you half to death, then just do this:
- Step 1: print this sheet here, print about 5 copies
- Step 2: stick one on your fridge, one in your wardrobe door where you dress, one near your bathroom or bedroom mirror (the place where you see yourself naked), one in your place of work, and one on the kitchen cupboard that contains the ‘bad things’ (you know, your weakness, those biscuits or chocolate bars or whatever it is)
- Step 3: Then JFDI – just follow the 12 Core Principles. Don’t ask, don’t question, just trust me for 90 days of your life. You WILL get positive results if you do what it says.
That’s it, simples. Health = hacked.
Or if you are a bit of a secret nutrition nerd like me, and you wanna do some learning, then go buy the book, here, and read it, and I know you’ll learn some stuff and feel inspired.
Want to go even deeper? Come join the MND Life! community and meet like-minded people who also love healthy living and want to be the best versions of themselves that they can be.
Now, maybe I don’t dislike the phrase ‘life hack’ as much as I used to. Perhaps we all want to hack the things we hate wasting our time on, and maybe we want to do the opposite of hack, some kind of ‘slow down, unpack and unpick’, the things we love.
If I can help you to either hack your health, or slow down, unpack and unpick it, now or in the future, then I welcome hearing from you.
To your good health!