Living the MND way - 42 yrs old Today!
Hey!! It’s my birthday! I’m 42 years old today!
As from today, I am ‘officially’ living by my 12 Core Principles completely now. I have pretty much been living this way for a the last 6 to 9 months anyway, but now I am being more strict.
What you can measure, you can manage
That old business saying is true, you can only manage what you measure, so I think the best way to start is with a full set of my stats, as follows:
- Age: 42
- Height: 6 ft 1 in (186 cm)
- Weight: 12 stone 3 pounds (171 pounds, 77.6 kg)
- BMI - 22.4 (slap in the middle of the healthy range)
- Cholesterol (total) 3.70 mmol/L (below 5.0 is supposed to be desirable)
- HDL cholesterol: 1.30 TC/HDL ratio: 2.70 (4.5 or less is desirable)
- Base Metabolic Rate: 1894 calories per day
- Glucose: 3.50 mmol/L (fasted. Below 7.7 is desirable)
- Metabolic age: 26
- Body fat: 12% (calliper tested)
- Visceral fat: 5 (on a scale 1-59, below 13 is desirable)
- Lung age: 41
- Degree of obesity: 2.70%
- pH: 7.25 (tested saliva and urine)
- Waist: 31″ (79 cm)
- Hips: 38″
- Waist to Hip Ratio: 0.81 (a heart disease risk indicator, below 0.85 is in the ‘excellent’ range)
- Chest: 43″
- Each thigh: 22″
- Right bicep: 13″
- Left bicep: 12.5″
- Neck: 14″
- Right calf: 15.5″
- Left calf: 15″
- Forearms: approx 10.5″
- I don’t have my blood pressure and resting heart rate recorded…but they checked all that when I recently had knee surgery and it was all “great” at the time, so I have no reason to be too concerned about it.
I will track some of these data points often, and others I’ll check again only occasionally. Obviously, I am already pretty healthy, my lungs are good, cholesterol good, BMI good, etc, so I don’t need to be too anal about checking these things every month.
I am posting the attached picture not as a true ‘before and after’ shot, but more as a ‘before and half way’ shot. I hope that a couple of years from now, I look lean and healthy and fit and athletic, and then I will get another picture taken, and I’ll have a complete ‘before-half way-after’ image. I am very pleased with the progress I have made so far, from the wasted fat unhealthy 18-yr old on the left of this picture, to the healthy strong fit energetic 41-yr old on the right of this picture, but I still have a way to go to achieve the health and look I desire.
In that light, I should state my goals for the second half 2012 and for 2013: (this latter part of post updated in early 2013, as moving MND to new site)
- As you know from reading the other pages on this site, supreme good health is my #1 goal.
- I have taken a full year off running (from Oct 2011 to Oct 2012), after trashing my right knee running too many marathons on hard road surfaces and not using a barefoot running style, but as my knee recovers from surgery, I have now (in 2013) started running again, with a view to returning to marathon running next year (2014).
- I gained 12 pounds of muscle in 2012. I would like to gain another 10 pounds of muscle over 2013.
- I would like to reduce my body fat by about 3%…whatever it takes to get a visible 6 pack!
- I want the loose skin on my abdomen to tighten up…it’s left over from my fat years, and it is slowly shrinking, but I hate it!
In terms of abilities, I want to be ultra-marathon fit again by the end of 2013, and I want to improve my abilities as a rock climber.
Wish me luck! 🙂